23 – Chartres Gallery – Former Sainte-Foy church
About the scenography
Artistic design: Lumière de Verre
Lighting created by Lumière de Verre.
About the Chartres Gallery, former Sainte-Foy church
Opposite the multimedia library, the esplanade de la Résistance leads to an isolated Roman doorway. This is all that remains of a church dedicated to Sainte-Foy. The former eleventh century priory, built outside the city walls, became a parish church when it was enclosed within the city. It was acquired as a national asset during the Revolution, given to the people of Chartres as a theatre and altered for this purpose. The four spans of its nave were destroyed and the choir enclosed by a new façade. A building was constructed where the nave had been, with only the doorway being preserved. The theatre was in use until 1860. It then became a cinema, before taking on its current function as an auction room. The building was demolished in 1971 and the Sainte-Foy garden occupies the site of the vanished nave.