Chartres In Lights
Chartres en lumières 2021
Chartres en lumières returns from April 10, 2021 until the end of the year!
23 sites are illuminated in the heart of Chartres, EVERY night, from dusk to 1 a.m. (10:30 p.m. from October 31, 2021).
Including many new illuminations:
- The collegiate church of Saint-André and the bridges and wash-houses on the banks of the Eure will host this year an exuberant fauna and flora taken from medieval bestiaries: animals more fantasized than real will evolve in a plant world of Art-Nouveau inspiration.
- The Chartres Gallery (formerly the Sainte-Foy chapel) will be inspired by the decorations of the 14th century stained glass windows of the Notre-Dame cathedral to pay tribute to the floral theme.
The illuminations take place every evening, starting at dusk, and run in a loop:
- from June 6 to July 14: from 10:45 pm to 1 am
- from July 15 to 28: from 10:30 pm to 1 am
- from July 29 to August 7 : from 10:15 pm to 1 am
- from August 8 to 16: from 10:00 pm to 1 am
- from August 17 to 24: from 9:45 pm to 1 am
- from August 25 to September 1: from 9:30 pm to 1 am
- from September 2 to 8: from 9:15 pm to 1 am
- from September 9 to October 30 : from 9 pm to 1 am
- from October 31 to November 12 : from 6:30 pm to 10:30 pm
- from November 13 to November 30: from 6:15 pm to 10:30 pm
- from December 1 to the end: from 6:00 pm to 10:30 pm
(+ or - 10 minutes)
Warning: due to the health situation, a curfew is in place from 9pm until June 9th, then from 11pm until June 30th in France.
Chartres In Lights is a free event to promote heritage through light, produced by the City of Chartres.
Every evening, from nightfall to 1 a.m., you are invited to immerse yourself in a magical universe full of colour, discovering in an atypical way the essential sites of the city centre.
Come and discover or rediscover in a different way the three portals of the cathedral, the Fine Arts Museum, the bridges and wash houses on the banks of the Eure, the church and rue Saint-Pierre, the theatre, the media library... You can also become the scenographer of the former Sainte-Foy chapel.
The Festival of Light is the highlight of Chartres In Lights. On this occasion, many activities are organized throughout the city in addition to the usual illuminations. This event attracts a crowd of curious people every year.
To prepare your visit and find your way on site
Chartres In Lights is a free stroll through the streets of the city centre. Enjoy the story at your own pace and according to your desires. Go from one site to another in the direction that will inspire you. All the scenographies run in a loop: you won't miss a thing of the show.
You can also opt for a free thematic visit by following the routes proposed on the Chartres In Lights application.
In addition, it will offer you some information on the artists's intentions, as well as on the history of the scenographed buildings.
The Chartres In Lights application can be downloaded free of charge from :
The Tourist Office offers guided tours of the event. Do not hesitate to contact the Welcome Team which is at your disposal to help you organise your stay in Chartres.
They wrote about Chartres In Lights
“I discoreved Chartres in Lights last September. I have come back to see it several times since then, without ever getting tired of it. The cathedral’s and city’s lights are just amazing ! This event reaches its apogee with the Festival of Light, which lightens the whole city and offers wonderful moments to the visitors’ eyes. The cathedral’s Christmas lighting is a powerful reminder of the event, and keeps us waiting until the beginning of the new season of Chartres in Lights, at the end of April.
“I would like to say MANY THANKS to the productors, artists and everyone committed to the organisation of Chartres in Lights. They are the ones who make these magic moments possible and bring happiness to people !”
Olivier, France, January 10, 2019
“We have spent the last two evenings enjoying « Chartres en Lumières », thank you !!”
Annette, Netherlands, May 18, 2018
“Amazing ! I am from Ecuador and my parents, my sister and I, we unexpectedly stumbled upon “Chartres en Lumières” 6 years ago and we really loved it. I came back with my parents this year, this time on purpose, and we are leaving Chartres more than happy. I think it will become our new family tradition !”
Maria, September 17, 2017
“My 4-year-old son is excited by the lights of the cathedral. And I have to confess that he is not the only one ! I would like to congratulate the different professions who created and produced these exceptional realistic drawings !”
Caroline, France, September 28, 2017
Scenographers and technicians give their best each year to make you live a unique moment. But Chartres In Lights wouldn't be the success we experience every year without the help of our reliable partners, whom we warmly thank.